Keep Your Peepers Safe!
Our children are active – spending time outside, playing organized sports and just being kids! With all that activity, comes the potential for an eye injury. Eye injuries are the leading cause of preventable blindness of children in the United States. Here are some safety tips, that can help you protect your peepers, no matter your age! 😊
- Wear protective eyewear with polycarbonate lenses. Polycarbonate lenses were originally designed for the space program and astronaut’s visors. Polycarbonate is a lightweight material yet is 10 times more impact-resistant than standard plastic lenses.
- Glasses are not practical when swimming in a pool or participating in other water activities, but goggles will work! Swim goggles will help provide protection from bacteria, germs, dirt and/or pool chemicals.
- Sunglasses are also important regardless of age. We should all protect our eyes from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Polarized sunglasses are a great option – to learn more about polarized sunglasses read this informative article from the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Protective eyewear is also important when performing yardwork or other home maintenance activities. Safety glasses are available with non-prescription lenses at most home improvement stores. And are available as sunglasses.
- Know the safety equipment requirements of the sport your child plays. For example, girls softball and lacrosse have specific requirements regarding face shields and goggles. Many boys’ sports do as well.
- Science class is another possible place where an eye injury can occur. Many students are required to sign a lab agreement stating that they will wear protective eyewear while conducting experiments in class.
Of course, having good clear vision can help you to avoid injury as well. Not only does clear vision help to avoid injury it helps to improve sports ability. It is much easier to hit that baseball or catch a lacrosse ball when you can see it distinctly.
Making sure you get regular yearly eye exams can ensure your vision is the clearest and it allows eye care providers, like us, to detect eye problems early. Call Kelly Eye Center at 919-282-1100 to schedule your appointment!